// MAINSTREAM

Welcome to the best corner of the Internet.
Welcome to The Mainstream.






Add to      Technorati Favorites

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lent: Day 5

There are some pretty neat perks that go along with being Catholic. For starters, it's the world's most popular religion by membership. Then there's the history. Catholics have had some rough patches, but we've also been on the giving end of some serious beat-downs. Charlemagne, The Crusades, The Inquisition... the list goes on. Plus, we can get absolved of all sins if we're actually sorry. That's something nice to have in your back pocket when the whole heaven/hell thing comes up. We have some solid nationalities that are predominantly Catholic. However, there is a catch. Lent. Aside from no meat on Fridays (notoriously a Taco Bell day in the Mikeosphere) and a bunch of other rules that are somewhat complicated, Catholics are encouraged to give up an additional vice for the 40 day non-bender. Back in the days of catechism, we'd give up dumb stuff like, "I'm not going to eat candy", or "Every time I swear, you can punch me in the arm." This year, along with a friend named Nelson, I'm going to attempt the Lenten equivalent of a 19-0 season in the NFL: NO ALCOHOL. So far, the road hasn't been that difficult. While I am in a college town notorious for turning bright and ambitious kids into bumbling morons, I rarely hang out with people I enjoy and the writer's strike looks to be ending. So there it is. The mission has been stated and the taps have been shut down. Further status reports - and an opinion piece on why we enjoy drinking so much - will follow whenever I feel like it.

THE LINK DUMP:
+ My favorite part is the peninsula that juts out to the north.
+ The Ultimate Online Archive of Unflattering Hillary Clinton Photos
+ They're making "Juno" into a video game. 'Nuff said.
+ Chicken Nuggets and Pop in one cup! Further proof that American is falling behind.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

The boy is ill. He will get right back on the horse (deeptee) when Mig visits the mitten.

Anonymous said...

atta boy Honer. Maybe next lent you can try and quit smoking and get rid of all your vices.

Mike said...

Z, I'll say the same thing to you that I said to the carpenter I saw building a flight of stairs: One step at a time.

VOTE FOR OLD HONE GROSSE ILE SUPERVISOR 2012!