// MAINSTREAM

Welcome to the best corner of the Internet.
Welcome to The Mainstream.






Add to      Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Who Votes For These?

I’ve had an Xbox 360 for awhile now, but always kept it at home while I was at school, mainly so it wouldn’t get broken/stolen. However, I was at home recently and decided hey I’m pulling down decent bucks why not go all out and take it to school, and that’s what I did. I set it up and had a decent time wasting away a couple hours here and there playing Halo 3 and Madden. I never connected it to the internet, mainly because at home we have a landline and a cord wouldn’t fit to the TV. I was going to set it up at school but we have wireless, and you need to get a wireless adapter for the 360 which costs like $100… bleh. However, through some research I found out that you can directly hook up the 360 to your computer and then it can share the internet with it… nice. So the last couple of nights I’ve been hitting the bottle while talking smack to 15 year old kids playing Halo 3 (it comes with a headset). That was fun for awhile, but then I realized that since the 360 is hooked up to my computer, my computer can stream media to the 360 and put it on the TV. This was great news for me because for awhile now I’ve been downloading movies and tv series, such as Entourage and 24, and been watching them on my computer. To do this you just have to go to thepiratebay.org and have a program called Azureus. They have pretty good quality movies and practically no malicious programs or spyware. I don’t have a DVD burner so I’ve been forced to watch these movies that I’ve downloaded on a rather small monitor in a precarious sitting position. …Anyways, long story short I can now download movies and watch them on my TV.

What’s my point? I’ve recently watched movies that I would normally not go out and rent, mainly because I think I already have a pretty good idea of what the movie is going to be like, and don’t want to waste money on it. So recently I’ve watched Hitman, Juno, and No Country for Old Men.

Hitman actually surprised me. I figured, probably like most people, that it would be a Vin Diesel XxX type movie with horrible dialogue, horrible acting, and a stupid plot. Considering it is a movie based on a videogame, the dialogue, acting, and the plot were all pretty decent. For a movie that I thought was totally going to suck, I came away from it with a ‘eh… not bad’.

It was the two Oscar winning movies that really disappointed me. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Juno from my friends and reviews, some of whom called it one the funniest movies ever. …Really? The funniest movie ever? I didn’t laugh once during the movie, not even a smirk. The movie is about teen pregnancy and divorce, how funny can it be? Maybe, it’s because people are still riding the Michael Cera wave off of Superbad and think that whatever movie he is going to be in will be hilarious, but trust me, not that funny.

No Country for Old Men won the Oscar for Best Picture, so I was pretty pumped to watch it. From the trailers I gathered that it would be a “The Departed” “We Own the Night” type movie only set in the Wild West with some good old fashion violence and a great story. It was more the former then the latter. Basically the story is these guys chase each other around the entire movie, in which the action and intensity were actually pretty good, and eventually one guy kills the other… that’s it. It doesn’t even have an ending per se, it’s more like the movie just ends. I hate movies that do that. It’s like the writer / director were saying movie endings are for Justin Timberlake and conformist, you just don't know what real pain is (in goth kid voice). How this movie got Best Picture I have no idea. Who votes for these? This makes me worried to watch ‘There Will Be Blood’, I might just wait until Hitman 2 comes out.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Juno looked really good in the previews...

Whats the difference between a baby and a grandmother???
??
???
?

Brigee said...

????

Anonymous said...

There is no difference.