// MAINSTREAM

Welcome to the best corner of the Internet.
Welcome to The Mainstream.






Add to      Technorati Favorites

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bump & Run(down) III


// Blog Review: Today we review I'm Bringing Blogging Back - Celebrity Gossip Blog-A-Palooza. Combining the breaking news-savvy of Page Six and the acerbic commentary of a pre-annoying Lewis Black, this blog (way to long a name to retype) is pretty rad. While the celebrity commentary is worth a possible gander, the highlight of the blog is definitely the Harriet Carter Wednesdays. For the unaware, Harriet Carter is the name of a catalog that sells unbelievably stupid items. I didn't know the catalog existed until I started reading Harriet Carter Wednesdays, and life since the discovery has been G to the LORIOUS. Final blog verdict: not worth consistent daily visits (hey, not every can be on our level), but make Harriet Carter Wednesdays a priority.

// There are plenty of things on Earth that I will never understand. Most of these things don't make me upset at all: quantum physics, molecular genetics, being able to skate. The exception to this rule is summed up in two awful words: David Blaine. The world's least entertaining entertainer is about to set a brand-new level of silly to his sterling resumé by breaking the record for staying awake. It's the height of absurdity that people actually keep track of this "accomplishment". Also, why would anyone want to break it? What's the motivation? What do you say once you've broken the record? "OOOOHHHH YEAAAAAHHH!!! I did it! Yes! Yes! I did it! Awesome!.... sheesh.... what a good time..... OK, I'm gonna go take a nap. Seeya in like 4 days. Also, the doctors might call the nap a coma butwhateverdontworryboutit. Later, dude." Stupid.

// Look at this picture and check out the catcher's gear the guy has on. It's made by Under Armour. Catchers gear. Made by Under Armour. The very nature of the product ensures that it is not "under" armor. It's the opposite. It doesn't go under anything. It goes over everything. It's the final layer a catcher puts on. It's Over Armour. It's not quite the same, but imagine if a condom company started performing vasectomies. Counter-intuitive, right? You know it.

// Always a favorite: a catalog of bad names for businesses. My conventional wisdom leads me to believe that all these businesses are owned by immigrants who don't know American slang well enough to avoid the faux pas. Wouldn't it be great though if some idiot just said "f*ck it" and named his business something dumb just for spite? There might be advantages as well. If I had to choose between "Bunghole Liquors" and "Martin Liquors", I'd go Bunghole 10 out of 10. It's the circle of life.

// The internet can lead you down such interesting roads. Case in point: chocolate party hats for penises. The one on the right is a mold of the helmet of Master Chief, a main character in the Halo video game series. At the risk of generalizing, I doubt that anyone who plays/likes Halo so much that they get a Master Chief chocolate penis hat is getting laid anyways.

// I've often theorized that music would be at least a big help in torture, if not a form of torture itself (see artist; Pink). Well, we've made it official. I must say, if I was making the torture playlist, I'd have a couple different selections. Theirs is good, but how can they omit such obvious torture-friendly joints like Holiday Road or I'm Walking on Sunshine? How 'bout it, Army?

// Here's a site chronicling the evolution of car logos. No joke here, I just though it was cool.

// Lastly, some very upsetting news on the television front. Rosie O'Donnel is pitching a new sitcom starring herself (yikes) and Fran Drescher (double yikes). In all honesty, while I was typing this I stopped for about 20 minutes and tried to imagine a worse combination for a sitcom. The only thing I could come up with was if there was a sitcom that somehow starred Dunbar from Real World: Sydney and a clone of Dunbar from Real World: Sydney and they acted together as twin brothers who somehow got paid to piss people off. Maybe stem cell research would have its drawbacks.

4 comments :

Brigee said...

I've honestly thought about it for about 15 mins and have no idea what that graphic of "your hands location" is suppose to mean. Also, the torture playlist is way off. Half of those songs are pretty decent, and I could be wrong here but didn't you put "I'm walking on Sunshine" on our Varsity football highlight tape?

Anonymous said...

the "one hand" pick is from the alanis morisette song and YES brother I did put walking on sunshine on our highlight video. But only to remind myself of the beating I took every afternoon during skel pass.

Anonymous said...

Is February 29th a good birthday?
You miss out on a little something three out of every four years, but that fourth year has to be a blow out. Like the World Cup.

Anonymous said...

Harriet Carter Wednesday rules, as does IBBB. I don't disagree with one thing though, it's definitely worth visiting every day as you never know what you'll find. Perez Hilton draws dots on a celebrity photo and gets his own show. PinkIsTheNewBlog has a bubble coming out of a celebrity baby mouth saying, "sup bitches" and he is a household name. IBBB puts a creative and comedic spin on EVERY story every day and has me laughing out loud at least once a day. Watch out for IBBB, he'll be a household name soon. Definitely the underdog.

I am not affiliated with the site, but have been reading it faithfully every day since last September.